Marrying someone does not merely involve formally agreeing to be a faithful partner for life. Marriage is a legal process that may involve combining finances, making decisions about children, and much more.
This is not meant to discourage anyone from getting married. On the contrary, it’s meant to emphasize the importance of thorough preparation before marriage. One way to ensure both you and your partner have responsibly prepared for the commitment you are about to make is to enter into a premarital agreement.
At the law firm of Randi L. Karmel, PLLC, we can assist you with this process. Contact us online or call us at 212-755-0224 for more information.
Reasons to Enter Into a Premarital Agreement
A premarital agreement can serve many purposes. The following are among the more common:
- Ensuring there is no disagreement regarding how assets and property will be divided if you divorce one another in the future;
- Ensuring property and assets are allocated according to each party’s wishes if one spouse dies;
- Protecting retirement accounts and pensions;
- Establishing alimony and/or spousal support terms in the case of a future divorce;
- Ensuring one spouse’s debt does not negatively impact the finances of the other spouse;
Potential Benefits of a Premarital Agreement in NYC
Virtually no one enters into a marriage with the intention of getting a divorce. However, this is a possibility you must consider. Nearly half of all marriages in the United States end in divorce. Entering into a premarital agreement may thus offer such benefits as:
- Preventing lengthy and complex divorce proceedings;
- Minimizing stress if you and your spouse divorce one another;
- Protecting your credit;
- Protecting children and other dependents;
- Protecting any businesses and/or intellectual property in which a spouse may have an interest.
It’s worth noting that premarital agreements also have the potential to help you and your spouse avoid getting divorced. For example, a premarital agreement may establish terms regarding how finances will (or will not) be separated, how debt will be handled, and much more.
Agreeing to such terms before marriage can guard against future arguments. When you and your spouse work together to make certain critical decisions about your marriage and obligations ahead of time, the chances of major disagreements arising later are less significant than they might otherwise be.
How a NYC Premarital Agreement Attorney Helps
Whether you’re entering into a premarital agreement or you’re contesting one, strongly consider enlisting the help of a New York City premarital agreement lawyer. The experts at a law firm specializing in these matters can ensure you have considered all relevant factors before entering into an agreement. They’ll help confirm the terms of the agreement are fair and enforceable.
This highlights an important point: You and your future spouse may want to hire separate attorneys when planning to enter into a premarital agreement. This is not to create an adversarial relationship. It’s simply a smart way to ensure both of you are independently receiving proper legal assistance.
Contact a NYC Premarital Agreement Attorney Today
At the law firm of Randi L. Karmel, PLLC, our qualified experts handle cases like yours all throughout the five boroughs. Learn more about how we can help you by calling us today at 212-755-0224 or contacting us online.