Divorces are expensive, emotionally exhausting, and can be overwhelming at times. With financial futures at risk, it is crucial to have an attorney protect your best interests.
At Randi L. Karmel, PLLC, a spousal support, and maintenance attorney in New York can help secure the alimony you deserve. We have extensive experience handling sensitive financial matters. Call Attorney Randi L. Karmel today and schedule a consultation with a family law attorney to discuss your unique matrimonial or family law matters by clicking here or calling us at 212-755-0224. We serve clients in the Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens, Manhattan, and Staten Island.
How Does a Spouse Qualify for Alimony in New York?
Spousal support and maintenance in New York are gender-neutral. Either spouse may be granted support depending on certain qualifications. Alimony is not rewarded or withheld based on fault in a marriage. Instead, spousal support and maintenance are intended to prevent a financial hardship unfairly on one spouse after the dissolution of the marriage.
A New York City court will rely on specific criteria to decide the type, amount, and duration of support. Judges will consider the following:
- How long did the marriage last?
- Can the paying spouse support both the former spouse and their own financial well-being?
- What is the supported spouse’s earning capacity? Are they employed?
- Did the supported spouse care for the children throughout the union?
- A detailed analysis of debts and assets acquired during the union
- What has been the behavior and conducts of the spouses throughout the marriage and divorce proceedings?
- Did the supported spouse work in or own a business operated by the paying spouse?
If you are considering ending your union, you are not alone. According to the CDC, the divorce rate is 2.7 per 1,000 people in America. Call Randi L. Karmel, PLLC to discuss your case today.
What Are the Types of Spousal Support in New York?
In New York City, and alimony attorney can help you navigate the complexities and nuances of spousal support and maintenance. Alimony is divided into four types:
- Temporary support involves a duration determined by the New York courts
- Permanent support last indefinitely
- Rehabilitative support usually involves giving alimony to a spouse while they regain the means to support themselves financially
- Restitution alimony takes into account the support given during the marriage and involves paying the other spouse back
Every spousal support and maintenance case is different. Marriage is a unique union and deserves to have an attorney who will pay special attention to the details of your needs.
Contact a New York City Alimony Attorney Today
The topic of spousal support and maintenance usually sparks intense emotional reactions on top of an arduous divorce process. Attorney Randi L. Karmel is a skilled alimony lawyer in New York City and the five boroughs. Having an experienced and financially savvy family law attorney by your side is vital to protecting your future after divorce.
At Randi L. Karmel, PLLC, we provide the aggressive representation you deserve. When you have questions about the kind of spousal support and maintenance you are entitled to, turn to Attorney Randi L. Karmel. Contact us for a consultation with one of our family law attorneys to discuss your unique matrimonial or family law matters by clicking here or calling us at 212-755-0224.